Richard's jaunt

Friday, October 29, 2004

La Paz, Baja, Mexico

Hola amigo,

Been slowly traveling down the Baja peninsula by bus, stopping off in places that look interesting. Inland it is desert surrounded by dusty brown mountain ranges, which fall down into sweeping sandy bays that look out on to the Sea of Cortez or the rolling surf of the Pacific.

I amused the bus passengers when I gleefully ran across the highway and took a photo of my first cactus. You know the type, the ones you get in westerns where it looks like its holding its hands up, as for the round next corner was an endless desert filled with thousands of them.

It is quite here, you can get the beach to your self, even though its sunny and in the high 80`s. The Mexican people are very friendly, I dont get hassled and they are pleased to help with my Spanish. It`s also very cheap!

This nextbit might be a bit boring, but Ive included it so I dont forget.

To avoid paying for a hotel and traveling past yet more desert I planned for an overnight bus trip, so I waited in a local bus depot for the 23:30 bus. This was no more than a patch of gravel and two basic rooms with a tin roof. With time to kill , I translated the notices in the room with the dictionary I had bought that day, mainly as I could not find a bar locally. The girl behind the desk was pretty, so I smiled each time when she looked across. Unfortunately at that time the only phrase I knew was "please extinguish your cigarette before entering the building", which was odd as the sign was hung in side the building.

There was a heavy solid wooden desk in the office, which contained three draws. The front of the central draw had no handle and instead of being rectangular the top edge had worn down in a curve by a good inch. So how old and how many times must of it been opened and closed? This is typical of stuff here, things get used until they finally wear away.

Later an official chap arrived and made great play he was locking the front door , except adjacent to the entrance was the exit, which had a frame, but was completely missing the door itself.

That particular leg did not work out so well, as there was a crying baby and the driver was happily listening the stereo, while the bus felt like it was a boat in a storm. Peering through the (broken) front window all that was illuminated was a few feet of mountain road and then utter blackness. I kept my eyes shut after that. Thanks to the skills of the driver I got into the next destination way too early at 04:30 in the morning and spent another three hours till day break to work out where the hell I was.

I did some scuba diving off La Paz in the sea of Cortez, looking for hammerhead sharks, saw one possible at 100feet, but the viz at this time of year is a poor 10m. Swimming with sea lions was fun, bloody noisy things. No corel though, so it was not pretty as I expected.

On to the mainland next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home